Saturday, August 19, 2006

Toolbars galore - Which one to choose? Part 2

Here is part two of the Anti-Phishing toolbar evaluation results. In addition to the five toolbars selected in my earlier evaluation, this time I also included Google Toolbar. However in this evaluation I focused on only one parameter and that is accuracy in detecting phishing sites. I basically tried to evaluate the comprehensiveness of the blacklist database of these tools and the speed with which the blacklist gets updated.

I picked up a set of 11 reported phishing sites from multiple sources such as Millermiles, Castlecops and few that I received in my mail box :). Since time is essence in protection against phishing attacks, only the phishing sites reported during the last few days were picked up for evaluation. The image below shows the results along with URL which were used during testing,

Click to enlarge

From the results it is clear that Netcraft and Google toolbars are the most accurate Anti-Phishing toolbars as of now. However this feature of Google toolbar is only available for Firefox.

Also for the first time I also saw Microsoft Phishing Filter in action and it is quite good. It detected 7 phishing sites and in fact it even detected one site which was missed by Netcraft and Google toolbar.

For all other toolbars it is a mixed result. In my next evaluation I am thinking of including some commercial Anti-Phishing toolbars and I would also focus on any smart features built into the toolbars which would enable them to detect suspicious sites based on URL and content of web page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home